Tuesday, December 28, 2010

In Which I Explain Myself

Here's the thing...I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian since 1993. That means I eat dairy and eggs, but I don't eat meat, poultry or fish. My husband, on the other hand, is an omnivore. Believe it or not, I kind of like him anyway, and I often like to eat meals in his general vicinity. However, a lot of restaurants - even some really nice, well-reviewed restaurants - still seem to put little or no thought into their vegetarian options. Or, in some cases, option. Singular. There is nothing more depressing than walking into a restaurant and watching as my husband struggles to narrow down dozens of tempting and creative choices, while I prepare myself to endure yet another Steamed Vegetable Plate or Pasta Primavera. (OK, technically, there are many things that are more depressing, but for the purposes of this blog, just roll with me for a minute.)

I did not become a vegetarian because I hate food. I LIKE food. A lot. More importantly, I like food that tastes good. I like food that someone has put some care and some thought into. So I am throwing down my pleather gauntlet. I'm going to review the vegetarian options at Chicago restaurants that I visit. I'm not going to focus on "vegetarian restaurants" per se, although a few of those may find their way into the mix. I'm more interested in what the options are at Chicago's "mainstream" restaurants, the ones you may find yourself going to more often than not when you have a mix of vegetarians and omnivores in your group. Let's see who has the right stuff to feed everyone well, and leave no one staring forlornly into yet another plate of overcooked carrot and zucchini slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment